Tales of Fairwood Forest. A Lush forest where Gladly Bear, Samuel Mouse, Andrea Skunk and others live. These cubs have their various adventures and at the end of each adventure they go see Miss Rosie the Wise Old Owl. She tells them a Bible story relating to their latest adventure. All work is copywrite by Dave Pardoe

Friday, October 7, 2011

John's Big Adventure


It was a hot summer day, and John Fox’s younger brother and sisters were getting on his nerves.  Jessica was teasing Josiah making him cry.  Jasmine the youngest, was bugging John with questions, following him everywhere.  This continued until John gave up and ran down to the kitchen where his mother was busy baking.

“Mom,” he whined.  “Can’t you do something about them?  They are the   most annoying little things around.”

“John, you know I am busy baking to help Miss Rosie while she has the flu.  You know it is your responsibility as the oldest to help care of your younger brothers and sister.  You should set an example for them.  Why don’t you take them this plate of cookies?  That should get them to settle down for a while.”

So John ambled back upstairs with the treats for his younger siblings.  But immediately they began to fight and bicker over who got what cookies.  Jessica claimed that Josiah had more cookies, while Jasmine whined that her cookies had less chocolate chips.

Finally John could take it no more; he stormed to his room and grabbed his fishing pole.  Stomping downstairs he yelled to his mother, “They are driving me crazy, I’m going down to the river to fish.”

“Don’t you leave this house young man,” shouted his mother.  “I need to finish this meal for Miss Rosie and I need your help to do it.”

But John refused to listen and stormed out the house.  Sullenly he ran down to the river, to relax away from his pesky brother and sisters.   Irritably he threw out his line and waited under the shade of the trees for the fish to bite.  The warm sun glinting off the water made John drowsy, and soon he was nodding off in slumber.

John awoke with a start, for standing above him was an ancient vulture.  Gazing at him through a thick pair of spectacles, the vulture circled John.  “Well, well,” he croaked.  “What do we have here?  What brings a young fox down to the river on a bright sunny day?”

“I am not a young fox!” retorted John. “I am almost fully grown.  I came down here to fish and get away from my annoying little brothers and sister.  My parents are so old fashioned; they think I should help take care of those kids.  They still think I am a kid myself, but I am not a kid – I am 17!”

“Oh, pardon me” replied the buzzard.  “I didn’t realize you were a grown up fox, old enough to take care of himself.  I am Old Joe Vulture, but you can just call me Old Joe.  I am traveling the forest seeking those who wish to be rich and famous.”

“But what do you want in return?” asked John.

“As your manager I make 10% of your earnings.  I am heading out this evening if you would like to come.”

“I’ll go run home and ask my parents right now,” said John.

“Ask your parents?” said Old Joe.  “But I thought you said you were a big fox, big enough to take care of yourself.  You don’t need to ask your parents.  This is the chance of a lifetime boy, I am leaving now.  Come with me and make your fortune. Or you can go running back home to mommy and remain a nobody.”

“You’re right”, stated John.  “I’m not a kid and I don’t need to go ask anyone for permission to leave.  I’m coming with you.”

Off they walked deeper into the forest.  Slowly they walked, following paths that almost weren’t there.   The ancient trees towering high above them created a canopy of darkness, but they continued onward.  Nighttime fell yet still they kept on hiking through the endless forest.

Eventually they stopped in front of a rickety old cabin.  Old Joe pulled out a large rusty key and turned it in the lock.  The door opened with a loud screech and tilted as it widened from the loose hinges.  John gasped in distress as he saw the condition of the inside of the cabin.

“Welcome to my humble abode”, said Old Joe.  “We are in the exact center of the forest, and all trade that moves through the forest passes my house.  As you can see there are many paths leading away from here, I would advise you not to wander off as it is easy to lose your way here.”

Pointing to a pile of straw covered with a thin sheet, Old Joe told John that he could sleep there.  John crawled into bed, but did not sleep well.  All night long the straw poked through the thin sheet prodding him, also small bugs crawled over his body coming from the straw.

In the morning he was roughly awakened by Old Joe shaking him violently.  “Get up you lazy young cub!” he hollered at John.  “It's time to do some real work and earn your way around here.  First thing you can do is get the fire going and fix my breakfast.  Then you can wash all the dishes, sweep the floors, dust the shelves, wash the windows and after that we will see what needs to be done.”

Poor John, all day long he worked, washing, scrubbing, cleaning for Old Joe.  When he asked for some food to eat, Old Joe tossed him some scraps with stale bread and laughed at him.  When night fell, John crawled into bed and fell fast asleep.

The next day was the same, and the day after that.  Every day poor John would be shaken awake only to have to labor for Old Joe with barely enough to eat.  “If only I had not run away,” thought John. “I would be safe and warm at home, my mother would be making me something good for dinner and all I would have to do is help her by watching my younger siblings.”

Finally John could take no more.  The next day when he was out gathering wood for the fire, he picked a path and ran.  He ran as long as could, leaving Old Joe far behind him at his cabin.  When he finally stopped running to rest, he realized he had no idea where he was.  Distressed he sat down under a tree and began to weep.

Suddenly he heard a voice coming from the tree, “What is wrong? Why are you sad?” Looking up he saw a wren coming down from the tree to talk with him.

“My name is John,” he said.  “I ran away from home and joined Old Joe Vulture when he promised me fame and fortune.  He lied to me, so I left him and now I can't find my way back to Fairwood Forest where I live.”

“Hi John,” said the wren.  “My name is Freddie Wren.  I came here to gather some nuts and berries for my mom.  She wants them for dinner.  I have enough for now. Why don't you come home with me and my dad can help you find your way back to your part of Fairwood Forest.”

So John and Freddie went back to the Wren house, where Mrs. Wren made him something to eat.  While he was eating, Freddie's little sisters Sarah and LiLi went to go find their father.  When Mr. Wren came in, he told John that he knew how to get to Miss Rosie's house and would be happy to lead him there.  Mrs. Wren packed them a snack for the trip, and they set off.

Later that day, after much walking, John spotted Miss Rosie's house.  Overjoyed he hurried down the path from Miss Rosie's to his own home.  As he neared his house, he spotted his father outside watching. As his father spotted him, he ran out to meet John and embraced him in a great big bear hug.  He was so happy to see his son.

Calling out to the neighbors he shouted, “Come one, come all.  For tonight we have a party.  Everyone is invited to the biggest party you have ever seen.  For my son who was lost, has now been found and returned to me once again.”

It was the nicest party ever.  All of John’s friends came, Gladly Bear, Mary Deer, Emma Muskrat, Dalton Bobcat and the rest.  Miss Rosie brought her famous chocolate chip cookies.   Mrs. Skunk made up a big pitcher of fresh lemonade.

Mrs. Bear led everyone in lots of fun games. They played tag, red rover, steal the bacon, capture the flag and king of the hill.  Then Pastor Eagle led them in some of their favorite songs.  Later when everyone was tired, Miss Rosie gathered everyone around her and said, “This reminds me of a story Jesus told.  Would you like to hear it?”

"There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them. 

Not long after that, the younger son gathered all his money together and went far away.  While he was away he spent all his money foolishly. After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He was hungry and wanted to eat the slop that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. 

When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' So he got up and went to his father.

      But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate. 

Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.' 

The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has wasted your money with bad friends comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!' 

 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "


Miss Rosie found this Bible story in Luke 15:11-32.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home